Bring your friends, bring your family, just be sure to bring your appetite!
Join Little Herds and in.gredients for the Tenth Annual Austin Bug (Eating) Festival, where you can learn about the wonderful world of Entomophagy and maybe try your first bite of bugs.
Where: in.gredients – 2610 Manor Road, Austin Texas 78722
When: Saturday, June 10 – 4pm-8pm
Quickly becoming a staple for anyone wanting to “Keep Austin Weird,” the Austin Bug (Eating) Festival has fed thousands of folks their first bite of edible insects over the past ten years. Whether whole insects (always cooked!) or snack foods made out of insect ingredients, there’s plenty of fun ways for adventurous eaters to experience this exciting new (to us) food from the past, that just might be the Food of the Future!
Founded by Marjory Wildcraft of The GROW Network in 2008 by convincing friends and family to eat bugs in Zilker Park, the Austin Bug Festival has grown over the years; from a few families getting together, to welcoming hundreds of kids and adults out to try a fun afternoon of learning, curiosity, STEM education and a tour of the exciting new culinary world of insect cuisine. Since 2015 the #ATXBugFest has been hosted by in.gredients neighborhood grocery store in Austin.
- #InsectCuisine Cooking Demonstrations by Chef PV of the “Buggin’ Out” kids-education video series.
- Enjoy insect aperitifs made by local chefs.
Try insect products from around the world and learn how entomophagy could be part of the solution to world hunger through social impact initiatives.
- Delysia Chocolatier Cricket Bark (Austin)
- Aketta Crickets (Austin)
- Chirps Cricket Chips (Boston)
- Rocky Mountain Micro Ranch Whole Insects (Denver)
- Entomo Farms Whole Insects (Canada)
- Merci Mercado Chapulines Grasshoppers (Mexico)
- Lithic Nutrition Cricket Protein Bars (Denver)
Meet other Austin nonprofits active in kids education, food access and the environment.
- Girls Empowerment Network (GEN)
- Partners for Education, Agriculture and Sustainability (PEAS)
- Slow Food Austin
- Green Gate Farms
- Capital Area 4H & Americorps
Check out Austin’s hot new food-tech startups.
Live music including puppet emo-rock band, Fragile Rock.
Don’t want to eat bugs? That’s OK! Come learn about using insects as pet food and livestock feed.
- Cricket dog-treat taste testing – Bring a furry friend (in.gredients has a dog-friendly patio) and see if they like crickets too!
– Chloe’s Barkery
– Wilder & Harrier
- Farm-to-Table-to-Farm demonstration with GrubTubs and Westfold Farms – Learn how wasted food from Austin restaurants can be used to grow insects as a nutritious and sustainable chicken feed for Austin urban farms.
Hang out afterwards and stay for our screening of an entomophagy-themed feature-length documentary film, from 9pm-10:45pm. Your #ATXBugFest ticket gets you in to see the movie!
More information coming soon!